Weak & Strong 2 Opening bids - Facts |
The Strong 2♣ Opening bid
Shows 23+ points and/or 3 losers or less (or 10 tricks). It is a Game force bid.
The conventional 2♦ response, shows 0-7 HCP.
All other responses show 8+ HCP, and a Slam contract is likely.
After 2 NT → 2♣ is Stayman 4NT = Blackwood or Roman Keycards
- Bidding priorities (for both Responder and Opener) :
- 1. Bid 5+card major suit
- 2. BId NT without 5-card major, but may have 4-card major
- 3. Bid 5+card minor suit, without 4-card major
You can use Weak Two bids :
- Weak 2♥ and 2♠ Opening bids
Are pre-emptive bids at the 2-level of a major suit (♥ and ♠) only !
- It shows 6-10 HCP
- A 6+card suit headed Q 10 or better.
- The hand must contain 7 or 8 losers.
- Do not open with a Weak 2
- in 1st or 2nd position when holding a second 4-card major
- with 6 losers or less Bid then either 1 in the suit or a pre-emptive 3.
- As an Opening bid
- As a jump shift Response to Partner's Opening
- As a jump shift Overcall after an Enemy Opening
(In such case you also may use a weak 2♦)
Responder's reply to a Weak 2 Opening
With no Overcalls from the Opposition a raise to the 3-level is invitational.
With less than 15 points Responder will usually Pass.
With a better hand Responder can either bid Game direct or use the Ogust Convention (bidding "2NT"), asking Partner to describe his hand.
A bid of 3 NT is to play.
© 2015 Michael Furstner
- After Opponents Overcall :
- a raise to the 3-level is competitive only.
- Responder's Double is a Game-try Double.
Opener bids Game when maximum (8-10 HCP, or 7 losers).