Bidding by a Passed Hand
When a player has previously passed when it was his turn to make
an Opening bid he clearly has less than 13 points. Therefore
all subsequent responses he makes are limit bids with
a maximum of 12 points, and Opener may pass at any stage of the
One-level responses by a Passed hand are the same as if he had
not passed previously.
But a new suit bid at the 2-
level promises 5+ cards in that suit and 11-12 points.
After a 2NT response the Opener can bid 3♣ Stayman to check on Responder's 4-card major suits.
- Weak responses by a Passed Hand :
- 1. Pass - - 2♥ = 6-10 points, 3+card support (single raise)
- 2. Pass - - 1♠ = 6-10 points, new 4+card
suit at the 1-level
- 3. Pass - - 1NT =
6-10 points, no 4-card major
- 4. Pass -
- 4♥ = 6-10 HCP, 4+card support,
plus void or singleton (still applies as normal)
- Strong responses by a Passed hand :
- 1. Pass - - 3♥ = 11-12* points, 3+card support (jump raise)
- 2. Pass - - 2♠ = 11-12* points, new 5+card
suit at the 2-level
- 3. Pass -
- 2NT = 11-12*
points, no 5-card suit *or 10 pts and 8 losers
The new suit at the 2-level need not be a jump shift ( - 2♠), but can also be a normal new
suit response like - 2♣.
Strong responses may also include 10 point hands with 8
losers or less.